Easy Irish Dance/ Irish Bliss
I thought it was time to have a look at all the votes over the last three years (2,602), just to make sure that there is some consistency and a proper pattern to the results, not just a random set of numbers. You can find annual poll results from 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Happy to say there is definitely a pattern: a beautiful set of numbers, if you’ll pardon the pun. In fact, the 80/20 principle is very evident, with almost exactly 80% of the total vote over 3 years for just 20 sets, out of 230+ possible sets.
Which is just as well because I’m not much of a numbers gal myself – dyslexic with them most of the time. But, I can count to 8, which is mostly what you need to be able to do to dance a set.
|RANK||SET||2015-2017 vote total
||% of vote total
Thanks again to everyone who has voted, and to all those who have a passionate interest in our lovely dances. We’ll do it all again next year.
Easy Irish Dance/ Irish Bliss blog
THANKS to everyone who voted this year – we had a smaller vote overall but there is considerable consistency in the results of the top 10 set dances over the last 3 years – find the results here.
The Claddagh, Moycullen and the Antrim Square sets did very well this year compared with previous years… I feel the Down Under vote making its’ presence felt there!
82 sets got at least one vote, so while there is mass popularity of some sets, there is a healthy variety in favourite dances – worth considering for céilí and teaching programs.
However, the Clare Lancers come out on top this year – a wonderfully playful set, as you can see by one of my absolute favourite dance film clips here:
And there’s no better person that likes to play and dance, than my special friend Michael W. He specialises in getting everyone “organised” for the alternative second figure… go figure! (Anyone who had danced at the Willie Clancy will know what and whom I speak about).
|5=||Clare Plain (Reel)||19|
|13=||Black Valley Square Jig||7|
|13=||Clare Orange and Green||7|
|13=||Sliabh Luachra (AKA North Cork Polka)||7|
|15=||Caragh Lake Jig||5|
|16=||Hurry the Jug||4|
|18=||Connemara Jig (AKA Freres Nantes)||2|
|18=||Jack Canny Half||2|
|18=||Portmagee Jig Set (Meserts)||2|
|18=||South Galway Reel (AKA South Galway Half )||2|
|18=||South Sligo Lancers||2|
|19=||Limerick Orange and Green||1|
|19=||Valentia Right and Left||1|
Thanks again and happy dancing.
Easy Irish Dance/ Irish Bliss
Aah, it’s been a while since my last post but I thought it would be nice to engage and see if dancers across the globe are interested in making their favourite sets known, like we did in 2015 and 2016.
I am just doing this for the craic – there are no prizes or accolades for the winning sets- just like there’s no prizes for set dancing:- we do it for the fun of it.
HOW IT WORKS
- Pick your top 10 – Tick up to 10 sets you love dancing the most – you can add up to 10 additional sets at the bottom if your favourites are not listed. PLEASE ADD THEM ALL INTO THE ONE BOX – OTHER- with a comma between each set name.
- Your favorite NEW set? I suggest you add these into the COMMENTS box below if you especially want to highlight that, and I will include a listing in the final results.
- Vote once – You can only vote once, so choose carefully.
- Closes – This poll is open for 1 week until around midnight Sunday 7th January 2018.
- Final results – full results will be published on Monday 8th January 2018. You can also see how it’s going by returning to this post and clicking on VIEW RESULTS at the bottom of the sets list.
- Privacy – no private information is collected in this survey- completely anonymous.
- Can’t see the poll below? Switch from private browsing in your internet browser may help. (Sorry, can’t do much about that for those worried about privacy.)
- PLEASE SHARE this poll. Thank-you!
Easy Irish Dance/ Irish Bliss Blog
Thank-you everyone for your 669 votes over a 2 week period…and the winners are:
|4||Connemara (aka Connemara Reel )||34|
|5||Clare Plain (Reel)||33|
|10=||Clare Orange and Green||14|
|12=||Caragh Lake Jig||12|
|12=||Sliabh Luachra (aka North Cork Polka )||12|
|17=||Black Valley Square Jig||6|
|17=||Connemara Jig (aka Freres Nantes)||6|
|17=||Hurry the Jug||6|
|17=||South Sligo Lancers||6|
|19=||South Galway Reel(aka South Galway Half & South Galway Half )||4|
|20=||Clare Plain Polka||3|